Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip to content

Motor Vehicle Accident

Tcar acciden 2.jpghe Collision Reporting Centre provides an alternate and convenient means for individuals involved in prescribed motor vehicle collisions within the City of Greater Sudbury to attend in person and report the collision.

What is the Law?

The Highway Traffic Act requires that the following motor vehicle collisions be reported to the police:

  • Collisions involving personal injury
  • Collisions involving property damage in excess of $1,000
  • Collisions that cause damage to highway property (signs, guardrails, etc.)

What do I do when a motor vehicle collision occurs?

Call the Police

If you are involved in a serious motor vehicle collision where personal injury has occurred and medical attention is required, call 911. Do not move any vehicles.

If you are involved in a collision that is not of an emergency nature, call the police service at (705) 675-9171, and a member of the Communication Centre will determine whether an officer will attend the scene, or will direct you to the Collision Reporting Centre.

Exchange Information with the Other Involved Drivers

Where an accident occurs on a highway, every person in charge of a vehicle or street car that is directly or indirectly involved in the accident shall:

  • Remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident
  • Render all possible assistance

    Upon request, give in writing to anyone sustaining loss or injury or to any police officer or to any witness his/her name, address, driver's licence number and jurisdiction of issuance, motor vehicle liability insurance policy insurer and policy number, name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle, and the vehicle permit number.

    For more information on the Highway Traffic Act regarding records and reporting of accidents and convictions, please visit the HTA website.

    azilda2.jpgHow to Report the Collision

    Any reportable collision must be reported forthwith and you must report to the Collision Reporting Centre, 239 Montee Principale Street, Azilda, in person. Upon arrival at the centre, citizens are greeted by a member of Accident Support Services (ASSI) staff who will provide help to complete the police report, apply the Damage Reported to Police sticker, photograph the damage to the vehicle, and offer the customer the opportunity to contact family, broker, or insurance company directly from the Centre, giving the citizen a one-stop service opportunity for all their reporting needs. Police personnel are also available as needed to assist with the accident report.

    Duty to report accident - 199.(1) HTA

    Every person in charge of a motor vehicle or street car who is directly or indirectly involved in an accident shall, if the accident results in personal injuries or in damage to property apparently exceeding an amount prescribed by regulation, report the accident forthwith to the nearest police officer and furnish him/her with the information concerning the accident as may be required by the officer under subsection (3). R.S.O. 1990.cH.8, s. 199(1); 2002, c 17, Sched. F, Table.

    Officer May Direct Person to Report Accident at Another Location - 199 (1.1) HTA

    If, on reporting the accident to the nearest police officer under subsection (1), the person is directed by the officer to report the accident at a specified location, the person shall not furnish the officer described in subsection (1) with the information concerning the accident but shall forthwith attend at the specified location and report the accident there to a police officer and furnish him/her with the information concerning the accident as may be required by the officer under subsection (3).

    Failure to Report the Collision

    If you do not report to the Collision Reporting Centre forthwith, you could be charged with an offence under the Highway
    Traffic Act.

    Hours of Operation

    Monday through Friday
    8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
    10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
    Statutory Holidays

    Contact Information

    Telephone: (705) 675-9171, extension 2448 or 2452
    Fax: (705) 983-5724

    Download your copy of the Collision Reporting Centre brochure here:

  • (ENGLISH).
  • ( FRENCH) - Coming Soon 




CRC Brochure
Click here for the Fault Determination Rules.