Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip to content

Record Suspensions (Formally a Pardon) 

A record suspension (formerly a pardon) allows people who were convicted of a criminal offence, but have completed their sentence and demonstrated they are law-abiding citizens for a prescribed number of years, to have their criminal record kept separate and apart from other criminal records.

Under the Criminal Records Act (CRA), the Parole Board of Canada may order, refuse to order, or revoke record suspensions for convictions under federal acts or regulations of Canada.

The Parole Board of Canada charges their own fee which you will submit directly to them with your application.   Additional fees may apply for various steps from other organizations. The Greater Sudbury Police Service charges for fingerprints and police record checks in accordance with the current Service Fee Schedule . 

The Record Suspension Application Guide and forms are available from the Parole Board of Canada's Website

For questions relating to the status of your record suspension (or pardon) application or other information on record suspensions and clemency, please select one of the following options: 

Record Suspension Info number: 1-800-874-2652 (toll free)

Notice of any changes in your mailing address must be sent in writing to:

Record Suspension Section
Clemency and Investigations Division
Parole Board of Canada
410 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0R1

Or by fax: 613-941-4981

Note:  Your notice must include your full name, your date of birth, your personal reference number, if available, and your signature.