Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.
Skip to content

ATV Bylaw (Appuyez ici pour document en Français)

Click HERE to view the New ATV Bylaw

 ATVs, Two-Up ATVs, Side-by-Sides and UTVs - All Year Round!

The City of Greater Sudbury has passed a by-law to allow ATVs, Two-Up ATVs, Side-by-Sides and UTVs on public roads every month of the year.

In addition to these vehicles being allowed to navigate some public roads between April 1st and November 30th, they will also be allowed  between December 1st and March 31st.

Why are there two time-of-year periods listed in the bylaw?

In addition to these vehicles being allowed on some public roads outside of the 'Winter Control' period, they will now be allowed on a few public roads during the 'Winter Control' period. Riders should note that the streets they are allowed on in each of these periods are different. Given the time of year, please familiarize yourself with the applicable schedules to the by-law (A & B or C & D) before heading out!

Do I have to wear a helmet?


The law requires riders to wear an approved motorcycle helmet at all times while operating any Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) except while on private property. Riders are encouraged to wear appropriate headwear, footwear and clothing as well as eye protection and gloves all the time.

Do I need insurance?


Within the City of Greater Sudbury Off-Road-Vehicles must be registered and insured.

Who enforces the by-law?

The Greater Sudbury Police enforces the ATV by-law.

What are the speed limits for ATVs, Side-by-sides, and UTVs ?

- 20 km/h - on highways/roads where the speed limit is 50km/h or less.

- 50 km/h - on highways/roads where the speed limit is more than 50km/h.

What are the time of day restrictions for operating my ATV on Public Roads?

ATVs are NOT permitted to operate on public roads between the hours of 11pm on any day and 7am of the next following day.

Are "Side by Side" UTVs (Utility Task Vehicle) permitted in this by-law?


How old do I have to be to operate an ATV on a public road in the City of Greater Sudbury?

You must be at least 16 years of age and possess a valid driver's license. (Classes: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, G2, M or M2).

Can I have a passenger?

Yes, if your Off-Road Vehicle was designed by the manufacturer to carry passengers.

Where can I legally operate my ATV (on a public road) in the City of Greater Sudbury?ATVCommunityMapsMay_19_2011-14.jpg

- Can operate on the shoulder or move to the travelled portion of a highway if the shoulder is impassable or unsafe.

- Riders must operate their ATV in the same direction as traffic on roads/highways.

- The City of Greater Sudbury has created maps that show which public streets ATVs are allowed to operate on, as well as an

ATV street look-up, where users can type in any street within the CGS and learn if ATVs are allowed or not allowed. Please consult the City's webpage for more information.

Where is it illegal for me to operate my ATV in the City of Greater Sudbury?

On any public road prohibited by the by-law.

Can I drink alcohol while operating my ATV?

It's against the law to operate an all terrain vehicle when impaired by alcohol or drugs.

If the ATV driver is impaired or has a blood alcohol concentration of more than 80 milligrams in 100 millilitres of blood (.08), or if the driver refuses to take a breath test, the police can lay a charge under the Criminal Code of Canada.

ATV owners and riders are reminded to familiarize themselves with and obey all of the laws regarding ATV usewithin the City of Greater Sudbury!



For information vist: