Frequently Asked Questions

Please note as of March 30, 2020, we no longer provide record check results on paper with an embossed textured seal, results are now fully digital; the results are in a secure PDF format and contain a coloured GSPS crest watermark and updated GSPS digital seal. Completed record checks are not printed off or mailed to the applicant’s mailing address.

If confirmation is required to determine that a completed police record check is original and authentic, you may contact Customer Service at 705-675-9171 extension 6622, however staff will not be able to discuss the details of the criminal record.

You can now submit your application through our online Police Record Check

When does my record check expire?
  • Record checks do not have an expiry date.
How often do I need to get a record check?
  • This will depend on the requesting organization. Some organizations may request a record check once, where others may request them annually, biannually, etc.
I needed fingerprints because I am a “VS hit”. What does that mean?
  • The Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) includes a search being made in the automated criminal records retrieval system maintained by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police to determine if the applicant has been convicted of, and successfully obtained a Record Suspension (pardon) for, any sexual offences that are listed in the schedule to the Criminal Records Act. You are a “VS hit” when the search concludes that your personal information (name, gender and date of birth) is similar to that of an individual pardoned of a sexual offence, and fingerprints will be required to complete your record check.
I already submitted fingerprints for a previous record check. Can I use those fingerprints for my next record check?
  • No, fingerprints cannot be reused for your next record check.   

Can a friend or family member pick up my record check results for me? 

  • Only the record check applicant can obtain their own record check results; Family members and friends are not authorized to pick up the completed results.
Can I get a Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) if I am not working with vulnerable persons?
  • No, this type of record check can only be conducted for those who work directly with and are responsible for the care and wellbeing of vulnerable persons. To meet the legal requirements for a Vulnerable Sector Check, the nature of the position must cause the person to have authority over, or trust of, children or vulnerable persons. If the position does not meet the requirements of the Criminal Records Act for a Vulnerable Sector Check, it is illegal for the police service to conduct one.
Why was I asked to submit a detailed letter to get the Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3)?
  • Letters will be prompted from the requesting organization when the applicant cannot provide sufficient detail on how and why their position will have direct contact or be responsible for the care and well-being of vulnerable persons, or when the responsibilities associated to their employment or volunteer position does not reasonably include direct work with vulnerable persons. If the position does not meet the requirements of the Criminal Records Act for a Vulnerable Sector Check, it is illegal for the police service to conduct one.
Can I get a record check for personal reasons?
  • Yes, through the submission of fingerprints by way of a privacy request.
Can I get a record check when I am living outside of Canada?
  • We are not authorized to process record checks for applicants who live outside of Canada- all record checks for those living or working abroad must be processed by the RCMP through the submission of digital fingerprints.
I am an adult and my youth charges are appearing on my completed record check. Why?
  • If you have committed a criminal offence as an adult during the disclosure/access period of any previous charges under the Youth Criminal Just Act, and are subsequently convicted, the youth record becomes part of your permanent adult record and may be disclosed on your completed record check.